When it comes to discovering purpose, there are two camps.
The first camp are the teams that haven’t yet defined a clear shared purpose. Many successful companies did not come out of the gate with a clear purpose. Some stumbled on it later in their journey. Some discovered it deliberately. Some had a sense of purpose since the beginning, but found the words to express it later.
The second camp are the ones that do have an existing purpose, but desire to update it.
We have a purpose. Why would I want to update it?
This is for the seconds camp. Many say purpose shouldn’t doesn’t change, I disagree, but let me clarify.
Times change. Our environment change. We change. Our purpose has to be relevant to the time we’re in, and that’s why it’s important to revisit our purpose from time to time and rediscover them.
No matter which camp you’re in, you’ll find articles, books, courses, and links here that will guide your purpose discovery journey.
- It's Not What You Sell, It's What You Stand For: Why Every Extraordinary Business Is Driven by Purpose -Roy M. Spence Jr.
- The Story of Purpose: The Path to Creating a Brighter Brand, a Greater Company, and a Lasting Legacy -Joey Reiman (Author)
- Grow: How Ideals Power Growth and Profit at the World's Greatest Companies -Jim Stengel
- Conscious Capitalism, With a New Preface by the Authors: Liberating the Heroic Spirit of Business -John Hollenbeck
- Find Your Why: A Practical Guide for Discovering Purpose for You and Your Team -Simon Sinek
- The Art of Work: A Proven Path to Discovering What You Were Meant to Do -Jeff Goins
Stories of how great companies and teams discovered their purpose
Free Ebook with above case studies
If you’d like, a PDF with all the case studies above is available. Fill in the form below and a copy will be on its way to you.